Carolina: a fabulous mess...

Because life is never perfect… and it's fine.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Good test

I've been looking for a better paid job. I am also going to College. Business School.
If I had just graduated, I would be unemployed. Following the National Statistics Institute, my situation would be catalogued as "looking for a job on the field for the first time and can't find it". An unemployed. Just like that, no need to find specialized titles for it. Just unemployed. But I have my job as an "Office Manager" while I make my way through school. Not much money... but enough to pay for it.

So, I have been applying for a few jobs lately. I still can't find something good. And things could be so much different if months ago that bloody "psychological exam" wouldn't have come on the way. Prerequisite to any good job, the job I wanted, of course.

To take the test, I was invited to an old clerks office that stank like mothballs, where a very nice man, Mr. George -the psychologist- was sitting, waiting for me just to start a mini interview previous to the test. After answering the questions, specially designed to receive the exact same answer by anyone who takes it -why did I want the job?, what did I want in life?, what did I do on my spare time?- he handed me an exam divided into four parts.

Part 1. Had 30 minutes to answer 45 questions, about what was the little figure that followed the sequence illustrated in a piece of paper. Kind of a TV show competition. "This measures your IQ" he was saying to me while all I wanted was to concentrate and do it right, just to show him I wasn't an idiot. I answered 27.

Part 2. Written Test. I had to finish the phrases that were incomplete with "whatever that came first to my mind" as the header said. "In this task, besides assessing your answers, we will also analyze your hand writing" Mr. George said to me. At the end, I was just trying to write beautifully, and of course I ended up answering like a beauty pageant contestant. When the phrase would say "what I hate the most is..." I would continue the phrase with "...the lies and infidelity" with my best handwriting. Pathetic.

Part 3. The stains. The never ending stains on cardboards that show pictures of hairy body parts, dragons and samurais stabbing themselves with huge swords covered with blood. I said that I saw dancers in snow and colorful butterflies. I think that I passed this one.

Part 4. I had a minute to write all the words I could imagine that started with the letter B. The first ones that came to my mind were bitch, bollocks, bastard. So I got all blocked. Laughing. When 40 seconds had passed already and I had nothing written there, I ended up writing "beach" and "bear". That's it. Nothing like "brightness", "bounding", "broad-minded" came out. Jeez.

Talking to a friend that goes to psychology school, I got that these tests were necessary due to two reasons: first, to justify the psychologists existence, and second, to provide different companies with different people/personalities suitable for each one of the posts available they had. And then I told him: "I don't know about you, but I would go for the first option"

0 Zandeces:

Post a Comment

<< Home